Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bees have arrived !!!

Starting the blog a day late, but hey better late than never !

The bees came into town late fri night. Thanks to Handsons honey. They drove to California and back in one week to get our bees and everyone else's.  We picked our 3 packages up on sat morning. One of which is my uncles. He pays for all of it and i get to play with and manage his bees.

So Saturday morning arrived and my wife had a lunch break at work at 8 so she was able to come with me and pick up the bees. Seeing all of them was a cool sight, there was a 2 car garage FILLED with them! So i drove them home and got everything ready. I wanted her to see the bees go in the first time with me. So i waited till 1 pm when she got done.

So1 rolls around and ive donned my gear. (minus smoker) And attempted  to hive the first batch. Well i found out that i really should have had a smoker from the start. One stung me on the hand and then the rest got the pheromone. I had to quick just get them in. Then My wife brought the smoker and that helped alot ! Just a little was needed. So the 2 other packages went in just fine. My 2 have quart feeders inside and my uncles has baggie style.  Just to see if there is a difference in consumption.

This morning i just looked at the hives and saw a small amount of  activity but it was still cool. Now its close to 50deg out and there flying all over getting their bearings. What a great sight !

It earth day so we decided today would be a good day to plant our fruit trees and my lil girls pine tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment