Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bees and Booze

I went out and checked the bees today. All 3 hives were busy. And i added syrup to all 3 but im going to cut back on the middle hive. There starting to cap some of there's so they really don't need as much.

The first hive i opened had 4 1/2 frames filled out . And had a really good brood pattern. Some brood was being capped as well. Only had 3 small sections of burr comb. Looked good to me. I also took the pollen patty off and put it on the inner cover next to the feeder. Its getting to be a pain to check the hives with the patty sticking to everything, I did the same to all 3 hives .

Second hive had alot more burr comb. I was wondering why when i noticed the inner cover had one side with more of a gap from the top bars to the ply the the other. ( bee space Issues) There were 5 1/2 frames filled out. Again nice brood pattern and capped brood was seen. Looked good to me so i closed it up. This time i flipped the inner cover over and that should solve the burr comb issues lol.

Walters hive opened it up and saw no burr comb. ( This hive has bought frames)  4 frames were filled out on this hive. So its the slowest but not lagging behind by any means. There was capped brood and a really good pattern. More pollen was seen in the hive as well. Every thing looked good to me so i closed it up.

All in all the hives are looking great !

Now for Booze updates

I still have a 5 gallon batch i should rack of Hard lemonade. So tomorrow i think ill take care of that. And the last batch i made of the 5 diff flavorings all taste great except the apple kiwi straw. Its just not my cuppa tea. But ill try a glass of that tonight and see if its gotten better since stabilizing and flavoring. I haven't made any other wines yet. Gotta pay bills first ! I'm thinking about trying my hand at making a beer....... I dunno im not a fan of beer but i know some one with all the supply's to make it...... time will tell....



No comments:

Post a Comment